If you’ve taken the time and spent the money to have your hair professionally coloured, it would be silly not to continue that care and attention once you get home. Surely you want to keep your new hue looking its best for as long as possible?
Here are my top hair care tips for coloured hair…
- Wash your hair two days before your appointment and avoid using hairsprays, dry shampoos and styling products. This will stop your scalp from becoming too sensitive.
- After your appointment, don’t wash your hair for at least 24-48 hours in order to allow the colour to really settle in. Beyond this, avoid washing your hair everyday as it will cause the colour to fade very quickly.
- Use a shampoo that’s been specifically designed for coloured hair. Those of you with blonde locks should go for a violet shampoo to keep your colour looking bright and avoid those brassy tones.
- Avoid clarifying or dandruff shampoo as these will strip the colour from your hair.
- ALWAYS use a moisture rich conditioner. Never skip it. If your coloured hair is particularly dry, use a leave in conditioner too.
- Treat your coloured hair to a weekly mask. Lush has a great range including Marilyn which is perfect for the blondes among you.
- Cool the temperature right down. Hot water will open your hairs’ cuticles and pull some of your beloved colour out.
- Avoid chlorine if you can. If you’re planning a holiday, have your hair coloured a week before and use a sun-protecting spray while you’re away. This is easy to DIY with a little sun cream and water in a spray bottle. If you enjoy swimming, get yourself a sexy swim cap.
- As always, make sure you visit the salon for regular trims.
Spring is the perfect time to shake things up in the colour department, so why not pop in to discuss your new look? Get in touch and make an appointment today!
See you in the salon!